Thursday, September 29, 2011

running.

"It's one of those things. Like church is to some people. Or getting tickets to the symphony. Or watching a sunset. Or drinking wine. It's one of those things that opens up my senses, creates a zone, pulls me out into this bird's eye view where, with every whoosh-whoosh of my breath, every thump-thump of the soles of my shoes to the pavement, every beat of my throbbing pulse...I'm in deep thought. About life. All the crap. All the good stuff. All the dreams and how to get there. And running--burning through that painful place where your sides ache and your breath is deep and your legs are screaming and yet you still pace through the strides--it's a brilliant microcosm of the greater picture. If you can run? You can do anything." kelle hampton

gosh, i love me some kelle hampton. last night while i was up with berkeley, all propped up in the bed feeding him, i got out my phone and saw that there was a new post on "enjoying the small things". my absolute favorite blog of all time. i was so excited that i clicked off my phone and said to myself, "i'm saving that for tomorrow." and i did. tomorrow is now today, and after i fed berkeley, fed roger, took them both on a walk, bathed berkeley and myself, i cozied up with my computer, berkeley snuggled right up against my chest in his sling (the only place he'll quiet and go to sleep), poured a cup of cinnamon vanilla coffee and feasted on her words. while on her site, i found this running quote she wrote last year.
running gives me life. berkeley has left his sleeping newborn phase of life and has entered his awake, active, fussy phase of life. so last night, i passed our baby boy off to derek and went out for a nighttime run. so when i read this today, it hit home. as much as i adore berkeley, getting out and running allows me to be a better mom. it makes me tougher. because if you can run, you can do anything. even stay up all night and day with your needy, but sweet little one.

"i am excited--in that I-can-do-anything, shoes-hitting-the-pavement and breath-fast-and-heavy kind of way. It is amazing how much the human soul can be fueled, inspired, ignited by other human souls and, in turn, reignite the passion, the drive. Like superheros." kelle hampton

No comments:

Post a Comment